THRIVE's 9 Grain Cracked Cereal contains red wheat, white wheat, barley, rye, oats, corn, millet, hulled buckwheat, and flax seed. You can use it to make a hot cereal like oatmeal. You can also soak it a little and use it in breads/muffins. I ground some into flour for this recipe and added some straight.
Now, I also love THRIVE FD Cranberries, which you may have noticed if you follow my facebook page. They are SO yummy and add that little tart kick to sweet things and a little burst of color that makes me happy. I had exactly one cup left in my can which worked out perfectly for this recipe.
For this recipe I use coconut oil. I know a lot of people are into coconut oil for the health benefits, etc., which is great, but I like it because of its shelf life. This stuff can last for a long time on the shelf so it is perfect for your long term supply of food. I get the Kirkland brand of coconut oil and have been happy with it. It also tastes really good in baking, if you like a little hint coconut flavor. If you don't like the flavor, feel free to use butter or margarine or other oil of you choice.
So today the stars... or the items in my pantry... aligned for Bananas + Cranberries + 9 Grain Cracked Cereal Muffins:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground THRIVE 9 Grain Cracked Cereal (I used my wheat grinder)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh egg or equivalent THRIVE Scrambled Egg Mix or THRIVE Whole Egg or other egg replacer *** We have egg allergies in our house so we use an egg replacer, like Ener-G Egg Replacer, or applesauce or bananas. Here's a link with a few options for egg replacement.
- 6 medium ripe bananas; mashed or 1 3/4 cup THRIVE FD Bananas, reconstituted
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (or butter or margarine) melted
- 1 cup THRIVE FD Cranberries, reconstituted
- Mix the first six ingredients together in a bowl.
- Beat together the egg, bananas, and coconut oil.
- Add the wet to the dry and stir to blend.
- Fold in the cranberries until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into a greased muffin pan, fill about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until done.
Makes 12-15 muffins. Enjoy.
*** To reconstitute THRIVE fruits place the fruit to a container with a lid, add a small amount of liquid, replace the lid, and gently rotate the container until the water is absorbed. Continue adding small amounts of water as necessary until fruit is rehydrated.