12 Days of a THRIVING Christmas - Day 1


Welcome to our 12 Days of a THRIVING Christmas!  Each day we will focus on a different THRIVE product group and feature some of our favorites. 


Day 1 - Grains


THRIVE Grains are a great way to get whole grains in your daily diet and they are fabulous to store for long term.  Some of my favorites are Quinoa, 10 grain Pancake Mix, and our Unbleached White Flour.  There are Certified Gluten Free options as well as Organic Options.  I love keeping these on hand for those days when I am in the middle of cooking or baking something and I realize I am 1/2 cup short on flour.  I don't have to run to the grocery store; I can just grab a can from my "home store" and finish baking.  

Gluten Free Grains
Amaranth (Organic)
Cornmeal 
Millet
Quinoa (Organic)
Rice Flour
Rice, Instant Brown
Rice, Instant 
Rice, White

Organic
Organic Hard White Wheat
Organic Spelt
Organic Amaranth
Organic Quinoa

Tip

Our grains you use just like you would other grains that you purchase at the store.  I personally never by wheat flour anymore because I just store wheat and grind it using my wheat grinder.  There is nothing better than freshly baked bread using freshly ground flour.  It is just the best.  Everyone should have a wheat grinder and try it.  You will never want to go back!


Recipe

Good Brown Bread


This is my absolute favorite bread recipe.  I love it warm with butter and honey.  Or if I actually let it cool I love it for delicious BLTs or ABCs (apple, bacon, cheddar). I half the recipe so it will fit easily my mixer and I get two loaves.

Ingredients:

4 C. warm water
1 C. brown sugar
4 T. white sugar
4 T. butter
1 T. salt
2 T. yeast dissolved in 1/2 C. warm water
4 C. Whole Wheat Flour (or freshly ground wheat)
7 C. White Flour

Directions:
Mix water, sugars, salt and butter. 

Add yeast dissolved in 1/2 C. warm water. 
Stir in 4 C. wheat flour and mix well. 
Add the white flour gradually until dough is easily handled. (You may need more flour if the dough is too sticky but a little sticky is ok.) 
Knead until smooth and spongy. 
Cover and let rise until double. 
Form into 3 or 4 loaves. 
Let rise in pans for about 20-30 minutes (it takes mine longer; I waited until it had doubled again). Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. 
Enjoy!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment